Looking for a salty, sweet, smoky and crispy savoury topping? Look no further. This simple recipe will yield versatile plant based “bacon bits” that can add a whole new element to Salads, Potatoes, Soups and so much more… Smoky Coconut Rashers just may be your new best friend.
Smoky Coconut Rashers
- 1 Thai Young Coconut
- 2 Tablespoons of Nutritional Yeast
- 2 Tablespoons of Soy Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon of Maple Syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon of Garlic Granules or 1 Clove of Garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon of Liquid Smoke
- 1/4 teaspoon of Smoked Paprika
- Pinch of Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees celsius.
- Thai Young Coconuts are definitely the best type of coconut to use for this (if not for everything!). Open the coconut and reserve the water for something else, or drink it! Using a spoon, remove the flesh of the coconut from inside, discarding the brown skin and outer husk. Thinly slice the coconut.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients (a quick whizz in the blender is ideal, but not strictly necessary)
- Toss the sliced Coconut in this smoky marinade, and spread evenly onto an oven tray.
- Roast the coconut, stirring at 5 minute intervals, for about 20-25 minutes (until crispy). Enjoy!